One of the things I love most about Jordan is how everyday seems to be an adventure. There are always surprises ready to jump out from every corner.
Spring break plans have suddenly changed. Instead of Egypt, we are now headed to Palestine. In order to organize our trip better a friend and I decided to seek out a travel agency to help us.
I love how fun it is to try to figure out how to get somewhere. I almost feel like its a puzzle. We had to go to the travel agency. We had a street name but that was it. In Jordan, taxi drivers (or anyone else for that matter) do NOT know street names. Apparently, street names are a recent addition to the city and most taxi drivers still go by landmarks (such as near the Marriot or near the University, etc). Well, we didn't know what the landmark was for the area we were trying to go to. We took a bus halfway there (also an adventure, seeing as we didn't know the arabic name for the place we were trying to go to) and got stuck. We tried a few taxis to see if they might understand where we were going with no luck. So we called the travel agency and had them talk to the taxi driver on the phone. He drops us off in front of a few buildings and we are still unsure where to go. Apparently we looked lost because of nowhere a man wearing a gown and the biggest cross I've ever seen comes walking across the street at us. He was extremely friendly but didn't understand much English. He motioned for us to follow him and he took us in to a liquor store. He seemed to be friends with the liquor store owner who smoke fluent english and was able to tell us where we needed to go. My friend and I had a good laugh over this: ultra-religious looking man (probably some sort of Greek Orthodox clergy) taking us to a liquor store (in a country where alcohol is generally frowned upon by the majority of the population). The travel agency we found was very nice and helpful and if all things go as planned, we are going to have an amazing vacation in Palestine!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment