It has been far too long since I posted something, and for that I apologize. Too many great things have happened and I feel like it is my duty to record it----yet I haven't. Some things will just have to exist in my memory just like they did in olden times :D (Ok...I have plenty of pictures to help me!)
I have a WEEK left! Can you believe it?! A week. Where did the last four months go? It seems unreal how fast this went by. I knew this would happen, yet once again it never fails to catch me by surprise.
So here's to a cliche journal entry about how Jordan changed me.....
So many people say this, and for good reason. Study abroad is meant to change you. It is meant to give you a different perspective on life. It is meant to help you see the world from the eyes of one of its many inhabitants.
Jordan has worked magic on my life.
Up until now I felt like I as searching for something. I was never fully satisfied. I love my friends and family back home and I love my life there. But it never felt complete. The middle east has EXACTLY what I have been missing. I feel like I have really found myself here.
Sometimes, I feel it is the culture I should have been born into. Yes, there are plenty good and bad and for the most part, I want to embrace it all. I have felt more at home here than I have anywhere else. It feels SO RIGHT to be here.
Which is why I can't be the person who says I'll come back and never does. This can't be a short chapter in my life that ends when I go back to the states. I want this to be a part of me forever. The middle east is my passion. It won't end here.
This has made me think so much about my future plans. What do I want to do with my life? I have one more year of school before I graduate. Do I want to continue my education? I've been staying up each night for at least an hour just thinking about all of this. What. Do. I. Want. To. Do?
Well, at this point I really like the idea of doing a Middle Eastern Studies graduate program. The only downside is having to learn additional Arabic---but I guess thats more of me wanting to be lazy and not really a downside :) Arabic is SO HARD! Preferably I want to stay on the west coast but I'm somewhat limited in choices. I'm also considering a program abroad. The American University in Cairo has a program that looks pretty interesting but I'm not a big fan of wanting to live in Cairo :)
What do I want to do with this degree? I really don't know. Maybe teach? Maybe work with an organization? I'm not sure yet. But every step brings me closer to something that I want to do for the rest of my life.
Part of me wants to move back to the West Bank after I graduate. I really found a home in Bethlehem. The people there are amazing. The atmosphere is amazing. They really draw me in. I could really see myself living there for a few years working and volunteering.
I can't imagine never coming back here. SOMETHING needs to happen that brings me back.
Funny how a year and half ago I had no clue that this would be my life right now. Funny how two years ago I never would have thought that I would ACTUALLY study abroad. Then again, I was the same girl who didn't want to go to college :) Amazing how life works out!
Jordan has been an amazing experience that I wouldn't trade for the world. My only regret is that there will never be a way to fully share the experience with those I love. I wish they could see it through my eyes. I can only give them a taste of it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment