Due to the possibility of a blizzard this weekend, my biblical Jordan trip has been postponed. The trip includes a visit to Bethany, the baptism site of Jesus, Mt. Nebo, the Saint George Church in Madaba, and Mkawir. I'm actually really glad that its been postponed. Despite my best efforts, I still managed to come down with the same cold thats been plaguing the other American students. I'm just glad it took this long for me to catch it. Some people were sick within the first few days of arrival. So really, its very good timing for a blizzard :)
My guess is that this "blizzard" is just another way of saying "its going to snow lightly". Jordan is known for getting a little bit of snow but I would probably compare it more to Seattle (well, NORMAL Seattle snow which is very little).
The other day I got my hair cut at the four seasons hotel in Amman. Yes, it sounds odd but there are reasons for it! My host sister works there and offered to get me a discount haircut at the salon there (my hair was butchered shortly before leaving for Amman). Really, it was just an opportunity to go to one of the nicest (if not the nicest) hotel in Jordan and get pampered...for cheap!!! I went with a friend and we were both amazed at how nice it is. We walked in in our grungy school clothes with backpacks while all the women clicked away in high heels and the men walked by in nice suits or business casual. We waited in the lounge while my host sister came down to meet us. Just to show you how ridiculously expensive these places are, ONE Corona cost 8.5JD (about $10!!!!). My host sister, Amani, gave us a quick tour and then took us downstairs to the "mini mall" of the Four Seasons Hotel and into the Salon. For some odd reason, all of the hair stylists were males. Everything was really fancy except them. They looked like ordinary guys in shirts and jeans that happened to cut peoples hair for a living. Lol. It goes to show that only westerners go there because otherwise how would the cut a Muslim womans hair? That was why my Muslim friend Mina couldn't go with us. She couldn't have a guy cut her hair.
Regardless, it was a very nice experience. For less than a haircut at supercuts, I had my hair washed, conditioned and a scalp massage plus a really nice haircut. Afterwards we went to HR to hang out with my host sister and she introduced us to her colleagues. It was an experience I could never have anticipated and enjoyable nontheless. So, if you ever find yourself in need of a cheap haircut in Amman, the Four Seasons Salon is the place to go!
Oh, and currently I'm trying to plan a trip to Egypt or Israel for Spring Break. I CAN'T DECIDE WHICH!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment