Thursday, February 5, 2009

Today really feels like my first "real" day in Amman. I met my host family last night for the first night. I was placed with a family in West Amman. It is an older couple and their grown daughter who is working on her masters and works full time as well. The mother (who obviously wears the pants in the family) is a distinguished retired principal and even has medals from the King. I have my own room with my own queen sized bed plus internet. I feel very spoiled after living in a small hotel room for a week.
I'm hoping that I will feel comfortable here. Its already felt a little strained. The mother keeps complaining that I don't know any arabic and that all of the other Americans knew at least some. I'm not sure if this is a genuine complaint or what. The daughter seems slightly disappointed in me simply because she was looking for someone to go out and party with. I think its apparent upon first meeting me that I'm not really the partying type...
My biggest source of contention is definitely our maid situation. Maids are common for a lot of people here in Jordan. Unfortunately, most if not all are immigrants from other countries and have very little status here. We were warned about this in orientation. They told us as much as we are going to hate how the maids are treated now is not to the time to try and "change the world" as they put it. Our maid is from Sri Lanka and she speaks very little Arabic. My family treats her like she's furniture and only talks to her when they need something. They always demand things from her. So far most of the arabic they have tried to teach me are commands to the maid. I was talking with my host mom about Washington in the tv room and I saw the maid sit down in the kitchen and listen to us. That is the first time I have seen her not working. She is either bussing our dishes, scrubbing cabinets, or some other task. I saw a tiny little bed in what looks like a small room or large closet and I assume thats for her. As with most Americans upbringing, I find being around this constantly very heartbreaking. I'm going to try and be as nice to her as possible without overstepping my boundaries as a guest in this house. My plan today is to try and give her some candy I had originally brought for my family. I didn't realize it had gelatin in it which my Muslim family can't eat. I'm hoping that they will see it as discarding something bad and that way I can give the maid what is hopefully a nice treat for her.

Classes start on Sunday and I am hoping I make it to all of my classes! Inshallah!

No comments:

Post a Comment